Topic: Atwater Brewery in Detroit asked an AI to create an IPA.
Interview with: Katy McBrady, president Atwater Brewery
FUN! I asked ChatGPT to create a sour pilsner for me while on-air, so here is the official recipe:
The Jon Liedtke On-Air Sour Pilsner
- 8 lbs Pilsner malt
- 1 lb Acidulated malt
- 0.5 lb Wheat malt
- 1 oz Saaz hops (3% alpha acid)
- 1 oz Tettnang hops (4% alpha acid)
- 1 packet of lactic acid bacteria (such as Omega Yeast’s Lactobacillus Blend)
- 1 package of lager yeast (such as Wyeast 2124)
- Mash the Pilsner, Acidulated, and Wheat malts with 2.5 gallons of water at 1500F for 60
- Sparge with 2.5 gallons of water at 1680F to collect 5 gallons of wort.
- Boil the wort for 60 minutes, adding 1 oz of Saaz hops at the beginning of the boil and 1
oz of Tettnang hops at 30 minutes.
- Chill the wort to around 1000F and pitch the lactic acid bacteria. Let it ferment for 24-48
hours until it reaches your desired sourness.
- Bring the wort back up to a boil, adding additional hops if desired, for 10-15 minutes to
kill off the bacteria.
- Chill the wort to around 500F and pitch the lager yeast.
- Ferment the beer at 50-550F for 2-3 weeks, or until the gravity has stabilized.
- Lager the beer at near-freezing temperatures (around 340F) for 4-6 weeks, or until it has
fully matured and cleared.
Leave a Reply